I adapted our favorite chicken tikka masala recipe from The Woks of Life to be dairy-free. This is a new favorite of ours! Enjoy.
For the marinade
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2t cumin powder
- 2t kashmiri chili powder (or whatever chili powder you have on hand)
- 2t turmeric powder
- 1t paprika
- 1t cinnamon
- 1t salt
- 1t black pepper
For the sauce
- 2T oil
- 2T butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Ginger, minced, in an amount equal to the garlic
- 2t garam masala
- 2t ground coriander
- 2t turmeric
- 1t cumin powder
- 1t paprika
- 1/4t cayenne
- 1/2t salt
- 2T tomato paste
- 1c chicken stock
- 3/4c unroasted, unsalted cashews
- 1.5c cold water
- Make the cashew cream: Combine the cashews and water in blender and blend until very, very smooth.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients and let sit for 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat oil and 1T butter over medium heat. Brown chicken in batches (do not overcrowd the pan!), then remove to a plate.
- Add remaining butter and the onion to the pan. Saute until onion is nicely caramelized.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the garam masala, coriander, turmeric, cumin, paprika, and cayenne as well as the tomato paste and cook for another minute.
- Add chicken stock and cashew cream and stir well.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, then add the chicken. Cook on low heat until chicken is cooked through. Adjust salt to taste.